In the past 20 years, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School has been at the forefront of youth hockey.
Our players go on to compete at the highest levels of collegiate and Junior League Hockey. Led by Director of Hockey Tom Ward our program is based on the conviction that our players must be great students, great citizens and also great athletes. Four midget teams, one bantam team and two girls’ teams make up our highly competitive program.What makes our program so successful?
- All teams play a rigorous seven-month schedule, averaging 50-75 games a season, with tournament play throughout the United States and Canada.
- Students are on the ice five to seven days a week, with 1 hour, 15 minute practices, Monday through Friday. Skaters benefit from access to daily ice time and develop their skills with repetition and daily coaching.
- Coach and Weight Room Coordinator Murray Eaves develops a rigorous strength and conditioning program for each team, utilizing our expansive and well-equipped weight training facility.
- Two full-time athletic trainers are on staff and attend each game. Two fully-equipped training facilities (one at the rink and one in our health center) have an ice bath, whirlpool, ultrasound, and training and rehabilitation resources
- Each team draws on the talent and experience of our top-level coaching staff, including former NHL, professional, and Division I coaches. Goalkeepers have a customized goaltending training program at least two days a week under supervision of Director of Goaltending Des Christopher.
- The SSM program emphasizes the fundamentals of skill development and execution, body conditioning and tactics for physical and mental development.
All of our players benefit from the unique combination of top-level academics and top-level hockey on the same campus. Using personal laptop computers, student-athletes are able to log in to their student accounts while on the road, check their homework assignments, download notes and review sheets, and stay current with academic expectations. Coaches run team study hall sessions when students are away from campus for games.
For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 507-333-1618 or 800-421-2724.